Thursday, July 24, 2008

Riding the Rollercoaster

Anthony fascinated with a balloon

This picture really doesn't have anything to do with a balloon, but I just liked it. Anthony's Auntie Aimee took the picture when he was visiting Grandma last month. Apparently the balloon provided quite a few minutes of entertainment!

Before I go on, I want to give a shout-out to my other sister-in-law Chiara, who is undergoing surgery today to remove a tumor from her kidney. The prognosis is very good, but it's still major surgery and we're all just praying for the best.

So, regarding the rollercoaster comment... it really has been one this past week with Baby Boot Camp. I'm in the final stages of securing locations, and just found out once location is a no-go and another is unhappy with the financial agreement. I think we can renegotiate on that one until everyone is smiley-fine, but it's annoying to still not have this stuff finalized. Looks like the YMCA is on board though, and this is the one I really wanted to secure. Up and down. Up and down.

The hardest part of this ramp up period by far has been visiting doctor's office (OBs and pediatricians) to leave marketing materials. I H-A-T-E this process! I feel like such a dirty salesman, coming in and bothering people when they're busy and grumpy for being stuck at work. I don't know how door-to-door salesmen do it. So far, the response has been decent; most places have allowed it. One that turned me down though was my own OB's office! I am still sooooo mad about that! I went in last Friday and talked to the receptionist, who was very nice and said she'd need to pass on a copy of my materials to the office administrator for approval.

I called the office adminstrator yesterday and left a message to see whether or not I'd be allowed to leave the brochures in the waiting room. She had someone else call me back to say no! This is my own doctor's office! I was so incredibly annoyed that I called back and left another voice message today asking again and reiterating that I am a patient there. She hasn't called me back so I'd assume the answer is still no. Like I said to her, I'm just trying to get the word out. I believe in this program and I believe it's very, very important for new moms to be aware of programs out there that can help them through the hardest times. What is the harm in allowing a few brochures in the waiting room?? Goodness knows patients at that practice need all the reading material they can get as they wait to be seen an hour or more after their scheduled appointments!

Enough of that rant. I just gotta ride out these highs and lows. That's the nature of the business, so to speak. Anthony's pediatrician was very receptive to helping me promote the program and is distributing all of my marketing materials. So, alas, you when some and lose some.

Running tomorrow a.m. with Erin for the first time in a week and a half!! I HATE morning runs!
In Health,
Chantel

No comments: