Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Marathon Mommy Hits Vegas!

CHANG CHANG CHANG CHANG!!
See those slot machines? They took my money!

I hate Wheel of Fortune slot machines. I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame. They torture me. They tease me. They make me think that because I won once, I can win again. WRONG!

This past weekend I got to visit Vegas for the annual Baby Boot Camp conference. It was my first conference experience. There were about 35 other franchise owners there, as well as the corporate team. It was interesting and informative, though the room was too cold. I guess the hotel was afraid the 110 degree desert heat outside would somehow penetrate the building's exterior.

As part of the conference, we participated in Baby Boot Camp classes as students. The second day, I took part in a fast paced group run at 6:45am. We went less than 3 miles, but with the 85 degree heat (yes, 85 degrees at 6:45am!) and trail blazer pacers, I was pretty tired by time we got back, just in time to participate in a Level 2 BBC class. Erin Shirey, Franchise Owner of BBC Portland, led the class with her husband, Jack. First of all, let me just say Erin is one small ball of exploding energy. She's only about 5 feet tall, but what she lacks in height she makes up in with contagious, crazy enthusiasm. I can certainly see why Portlandians (?) flock to her classes. We sweated, grunted, and tricep-dipped our way through over an hour of grueling interval exercise. When you have fitness professionals begging for mercy, you know you are one tough mama.

I got some practice in being away from Anthony while Adam and I took our vacation in May, but I don't think a mother can ever be truly prepared for extended time away from her baby, especially when the baby is as handsome and charming as mine. Anthony spent his time in Atlanta with his MiMi (he just gave her that name on this trip), Grandma, daddy, and his aunties from Adam's side. I hear he had a great time and probably didn't miss me half as much as I did him. After a semi-nightmarish return home, I spent one more night away from "my boys" (kudos to my sister Sheramy for her hospitality and accomodations) and finally reunited yesterday. My son smiled ear-to-ear when he saw me, but I don't think his little mind recognized the fact I had been gone so long.

Now I'm back, trying to get back into my groove, and will hit the road with Erin tomorrow morning at 6:30am for my first long run in over a week. Funny how humidity grows on you. I haven't had to use my chapstick once since I got back, and I couldn't separate from the thing in Vegas. Don't believe what they tell you about dry heat being better. 110 degrees, no matter what the relative humidity, sucks!


Life, love, and health,


Chantel

No comments: