Monday, October 20, 2008

What? I'm not even halfway there?!

Last night we conquered a 12 mile training run. Overall, it was a pretty decent run. My legs got tired around mile 9 but I pushed through it and actually felt more alive by time mile 11 rolled around. We paced 10:17 miles, not bad considering we did stop a couple of times for brief water breaks.

Hard to believe that even with a good run like that, I still haven't run half the distance yet. I think I could've squeezed another mile out last night, but that would've been all. Now, I know from experience that the race atmosphere facilitates the excitement needed to push beyond the usual limits, but that 26.2 still seems so far out there right now. I especially wanted to write about this particular run so when I complete my 18 and then 20 mile training runs, I can remember how challenging 12 felt at the time.

I really don't know what it is that propels people to pass the marathon finish line. That's why I'm doing my first at Disney World; I figure a little sprinkle of pixie-dust couldn't hurt! I'm still highly motivated though, even if my physical stamina isn't quite there yet, and I know half the marathon battle is in the mind.

Speaking of motivation, I don't know what's happening to my Baby Boot Camp girls. They seem to be falling off. Some of my most motivated students are skipping classes and don't seem to have the enthusiasm they did at the beginning. Surely this is "gym syndrome" that happens to most normal people, those who don't salivate at the site of a treadmill like me. It's hard for me to understand though, and I don't know how to help them through it. For me, not exercising is not an option. It's so ingrained in me and my daily life that just not doing it anymore is not even a possibility in my world. When I get upset, angry, or otherwise feel myself spinning out of control, a little 3 or 4 mile run puts my perspective back. If you don't experience that, I can see where it's just another thing you do. I live for those endorphins!

Gotta head out today for an easy 3 miler just to stretch the legs. I really don't feel like it, but I'm going to anyway. That's the mindset I wish I could give to the girls-- just do it.



No comments: