Monday, March 24, 2008

The Hits Just Keep on Coming

I just can't catch a break!!

I sat out three weeks while waiting for the shin splint to get better. I started back running, albeit slowly, for exactly one week, when I was struck by the flu and then had to sit out yet another week. I ran for 3 days during that one inbetween week and was very discouraged with how much endurance I had lost during that short time. I had just gotten back up to 3 miles continuous running when I came down with the flu. I was so sick the entire week that it was a chore to get out of bed, much less hit the pavement. I managed to get out yesterday and struggled to complete 3 miles, and had to walk a good portion of it. This whole past month has been very frustrating and annoying. I just can't seem to get healthy long enough to find my groove again. I've already had to bail out of 3 races I intended to run-- the Sarasota half marathon, the St. Patty's Day 10K, and now the Iron Girl 10K on April 5th. Unfortunately, because of the time I was out sick, there's no way I can be at 6 miles in two weeks.

I guess the good news in all of this is if there was time to lose to injury and illness, this is it. I would hate for this to have happened during marathon training in the fall when I can't afford to lose 4 weeks of training.

Speaking of the marathon, I'm officially registered! 2009 Walt Disney World Marathon, here I come! The race is already at 50% capacity, and the half marathon is already full. That is how big of a deal Disney Marathon weekend has become. I'm so excited about the prospect and am very glad I have lots of time to get back to where I was before the push to go beyond.

Here's to good health and injury free running!

1 comment:

MiMi said...

Good Luck,Chantel
Hopefully the illnesses and injuries
are over with.
My girl can get her running groove
back I know. Onward to the Disney
Marathon!!!!Just keep running,just
keep running!!!! Mom