Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sanity in an Insane World

My parents, who live in the metro Atlanta area, are paying over $4.25/gallon for gas. What's worse-- they can't find any. Apparently AT-Aliens have been seized with gas panic, causing the city and surrounding areas to come to a virtual standstill. People are driving over 100 miles to find a gas station that actually has gas, and then waiting in lines 80 cars deep to fill up. To this, I say, WTF?? I guess it's a case of an overcrowded city with too many SUVs filled with too many people who commute way too long of distances to work. Craziness.

With the economy being so glum, gas so high, and politicians so crooked, it's hard to find any optimism. I risk being uneducated to what's going on in the world because it's just too dang depressing to turn on the news. I know all of this economic turmoil is having a big affect on my ability to gain and retain new clients too, and I wish I had started this business two years ago rather than now!

But, what can we do but just surge forward. Try to take delight in the good things in our life, like adorable 18-month-olds who just see the world as one big, exciting place where they can soak up lots of new knowledge. To be able to just see the world through his eyes for one day-- where running is novel, the alphabet letters are the coolest thing going, and a rumbly tummy is your biggest problem. Aaaahhhh.

For me, like Forrest Gump, I just keep running. When I feel like my mind is about to explode, I lace up my shoes and run it off. Nothing seems quite so scary, quite so impossible, or quite so bad once you get that adrenaline surge. I logged my first 9 mile run since February this past weekend, and marveled at the fact 9 miles seemed so daunting last year at this time as I trained for the half marathon. Now, I eagerly anticipate my next surge ahead.

Until then...

No comments: