Sunday, August 24, 2008

First Week

My first week job-free is complete! It was very strange waking up in the mornings and having no where that I had to be. I certainly didn't miss driving to my former pointless job and sitting around all day. My hats are off to all the stay-at-home moms out there-- taking care of your own kid all day long is hard! The main thing is keeping him entertained. Anthony is not a kid that's content to sit around and build block towers in the house all day. He requires a daily dog-and-pony show. I did my best to accommodate, because goodness knows I'm not a big fan of hanging out in the house all day either, so we went to Playmania, went to story time at Barnes and Noble, went to the park (a rare event in August in Florida-- it was comfortable out because of the close proximity of Tropical Storm Fay!) We even walked the mall and drove to Ruskin to get some free play time at the Family Support Center there. Whew! I don't mind telling ya, Mommy was tired!

We've definitely entered our premature terrible 2's. You could set your watch by our daily meltdowns. This morning Hurricane Anthony terrorized the living room when Mommy took away the banana he was playing with. Yes, how Mommy Dearest of Me... I was putting it in his backpack so we could leave for the park! Last night, Macaroni Grill proved to be the site of yet another dinner fiasco. It wasn't entirely his fault, they did take forever in getting our food out, and he was just tired of sitting there. At least he's polite about it. He kept whining and saying "up please" until I obliged and spent the rest of the meal watching him run around on the sidewalk outside. At least they didn't care that I took my glass of wine with me!

So we're about to enter week two. I have several outings on our event calendar so hopefully it'll be a good week. After that, one week to go until Baby Boot Camp classes start! I have to say, I'm already restless. It just doesn't work for me to not have a definite plan and somewhere I have to be in the morning. I just hope this all works out and I don't have to go back to working for "the man".

Running's going well... Official Marathon training begins the week of 9/7. How ironic! That's when Baby Boot Camp starts too. I welcome some structure into the days and a goal to strive towards! Last week I completed my first 7 mile run since the spring, and have been doing a lot of hill and speed work on the treadmills. I vary the inclines of a 3 mile run between 1% and 6% on the hill intervals, and for speedwork I actually did a 27:30 3 miler this week. Whoo-hoo! Hopefully all of this will help build the strength and endurance I need for the marathon.

In Health,
Chantel

No comments: