Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Countdown to Gasparilla

This Saturday, February 9th, I'll run the Gasparilla 15K in downtown Tampa. I'm excited because this 9.3 mile run seems like a walk in the park after the half marathon training I've endured over the past 6 months. Since the half marathon was on January 12th, I've only needed to maintain a scaled down training schedule over the past few weeks. Two weeks ago I ran a 9 mile long run, just to assure myself I had the distance covered. The weather forecast this weekend calls for about 60 degrees, low humidity, and lots of sunshine Saturday morning. Should be a great day for a 15K.

The first road race I ever ran in my entire life was the Gasparilla 5K in 2006. Adam and I ran with our friends Peter and Stacy. I remember thinking then how exciting it was to race as compared with just running solo, and from the moment I crossed the finish line, I was pumped about road racing. I also remember thinking how incredibly long a 15K sounded, and a half marathon seemed damn near impossible. The full marathon? Inconceivable.

Now here I am, two years and one baby later, getting ready to have a great time running the 15K, with a half marathon under my belt and a full one in my sites. You've come a long way, baby.

No comments: